I feel like this look is about as classic to my typical style as you can get. Top knot, lipstick, pink, lots of jewelry, overall super girly and preppy. As much as I like to experiment and try new things, sometimes it is nice to stick with what you know too. And a button-down under a sweater with a skirt and a big necklace is second nature for me.
If you have been following along for a while, you will have noticed that I’ve started wearing a lot more lipstick lately and I am loving statement lips. So I thought it was about time to talk about some of my favorite colors and brands and some fun ways to incorporate bold lipstick into your wardrobe.
Ok, so we all know that I love to make a statement, but I acknowledge that I am a lot more adventurous than most. But I think we should all try and be adventurous and I think we so easily get pigeon-holed with these fashion rules and I just think that is silly.
As you know, I’ve been experimenting with lipsticks a lot more and loving it. My go-to brand right now is NARS because I love the texture of their lipsticks and they stay on all day with barely any help. For fall, I wanted to branch out a little bit and try something new so I got this dark purple, almost black, lipstick. It is definitely more aggressive then what I normally wear, but it is perfect for transitioning clothes. This outfit for example, I wore this exact outfit in August and it felt very summery and appropriate. However, with the dark lipstick, it is immediately a fall outfit. The dark purple complimented the navy of my blazer and my green necklace so well and makes the white perfectly appropriate for a warm October day.
Other than making my outfit the perfect transition piece, this lipstick is also fabulous. It did not fade at all throughout the day. and went on very smoothly. My biggest problem with dark, matte lipsticks is that they typically dry out my lips and mouth throughout the day and you end up with a dark line around your lips and no color in the middle. This lipstick has a surprisingly amount of moisture so my lips didn’t dry out at all. Plus the color didn’t move whether I was eating or drinking. So far, my experience with NARS has been so amazing product wise and customer service wise. I would really highly recommend them and I’d love to hear what y’all think about them. Until next time, XO
Salut and happy Thursday! For those of you who don’t know, salut is a way to casually greet people in French. I have already worn this tee once recently, but I love it so much that I wanted to wear it a couple more times before it gets too cold. Dressing up an already casual piece has always been an outfit staple for me and I am so excited that I finally have another tee to experiment with. As much as I love my NY Times tee, I have been wearing it a lot lately it seems.
Anyways, in my opinion, this is the best time to experiment with different pieces and layering. The weather isn’t so cold that you need a coat or tights, but you can still layer comfortably. With an outfit like this, a cardigan and over-the-knee boots were the only additions I needed to be comfortable. A big necklace and pink lipstick were the perfect finishing touches to make this look work-appropriate.
Do you have a favorite tee you like to experiment with? Until next time, XO.
Hello all! Happy Friday! It has been a good week over here, but I am excited about a fun and social weekend starting tonight. Keep up with all of my adventures this weekend on my instagram and my instagram stories!
You might have noticed that I have been experimenting with my lipstick a lot more lately. I used to be pretty neutral when it came to lipstick, I wouldn’t even wear it most days. But I started wearing them a lot more once I started working and wasn’t just going to class. Now, I love them and have finally worked up he nerve to start experimenting. Red seemed like a pretty good option to start with and I just love this shade from Nars. It is one of their new powermatte lip pigments and it goes on as a liquid, but doesn’t dry out your lips at all like most lipsticks. It also stays on through EVERYTHING. I only reapplied it once yesterday! I would really recommend these and I’d love to hear what you think about them. Also if you have any colors you love, let me know so I can try them out too…this color is called starwoman, how fab is that?!
In other news, I have also started a new project! I thought I wasn’t quite busy enough as it was…ha! Anyways, now that I am more involved with the art scene here in Greensboro, I wanted to have a platform to discuss all of the art that I am looking at and discovering here in town and in the surrounding area. So, I’ve created a new blog! It’s called Art Around Town and I just created it this week. I’d love any of your feedback and will definitely be looking for any art recommendations if you have any! Until next time, XO
Hello all! Happy Saturday! Today marks the start of a new Saturday blog series and I can’t wait to hear your feedback. Starting today, Saturday blog posts are going to center around fashion and outfit posts, but also answer a question about how to wear a certain trend or item of clothing, or just give ideas in general about how to integrate certain pieces into your wardrobe. Just like with my other blog series, I would love to hear your feedback and I welcome any and all suggestions!
So, here goes! As you know, My typical color palette leans towards girly pastels and jewel tones, but I’ve been loving the new neon trends and have been trying to find ways to integrate those bright colors into my summer wardrobe.
My first suggestions if you are hesitant on the neon, start with something small like neon earrings, a necklace, or some kind of accessory. Then, you don’t have to commit your entire outfit to the neon trend, but can still mix your typical color palette up. These earrings and this necklace are absolutely to die for and would look great against black, navy or white. Also both are on sale at J.Crew right now!
If you are feeling more adventurous with your neon additions, finding a neon dress is a full commitment, but does take out some of the work of trying to pair a top or a bottom with it. Personally, I think a neon dress or top is the best option. Neon bottoms seem like a lot and a neon top is easy to wear with jeans or white jeans and easy to tone down with a cardigan or a jean jacket thrown on top.
If you are going the dress route, make sure the dress itself fits well and is something you are comfortable in. You don’t want to branch out with color and style at the same time because you will feel overwhelmed. I like both of these options because they are pretty simple in design, but are both flattering. Both also focus on one neon color, not multiple. Wearing one neon color is enough if you ask me.
Once you find your neon piece, the hardest thing for me was accessorizing. I think the key is going simple. Nude shoes (black would work well too I think) looked great and classed up the outfits without adding any additional colors or details.
Jewelry-wise, I think the darker color the better. Of course, I couldn’t not wear a necklace and I struggled to find ones that looked good. But, I discovered that if your necklace is a darker tone than your neon, then it helps to quiet the loud color a little bit. With this, as with anything else, the key is to be confident and also to feel comfortable. You will never be able to walk out of your house with your head high if you are uncomfortable so know your limits. Make sure to leave comments below and see you next time! XO
Typical college student life- I had a huge test this morning, so Monday Top 10 obviously didn’t happen yesterday. But better late than never right?! Plus Tuesday Top 10 is more fun to say than Monday so I might permanently switch to Tuesdays. I hope y’all had a great weekend, I certainly did and some of the highlights on this list! XO
1. I am a huge Kate Spade fan. Their stuff is always adorable and is great quality. Recently they released their newest collection- Kate Spade Home. It is incredible to say the least and the promotional photos are beautiful. Here are some of the highlights!
2. My favorite holiday is Thanksgiving, which is normally looked over in favor of Christmas. To remedy this, I am not going to decorate for Christmas until after Thanksgiving and I am also sending out Thanksgiving cards instead of Christmas cards! I will post pictures of the final product once I decide on the design, but Paperless Post has some great physical as well as virtual cards for Thanksgiving, if you are interested.
3. Chocolate and peanut butter is by far my favorite flavor combination and I am obsessed with Trader Joe’s dark chocolate peanut butter cups. I am just warning you now, they are addictive so prepare yourself 🙂
4. This weekend, I was in Chicago for the first time for the BlogHer 2015 Food Conference. First of all, it was an incredible conference and I learned so much about blogging in general, not just food. But, Chicago might be my new favorite city. It was beautiful and so interesting! I can’t wait to go back.
5. While in Chicago, I tried deep-dish pizza for the first time. I don’t understand while all pizza isn’t like Chicago pizza. It was so good! Check out my Instagram for pictures!
6. In Chicago, I met so many bloggers with incredible blogs, however, the most exciting part might have been the final keynote speaker, Sarah Michelle Gellar. I wasn’t expecting very much because I knew absolutely nothing about her other than the fact that she was Buffy. However, she was inspiration and her new food venture is very cool. Check it out here.
7. This past week was the CMAs and surprisingly, my favorite part was Justin Timberlake, not the country music. It is definitely worth it to watch his whole performance.
8. If you are in the mood for videos, you should also watch the new Kate Spade Miss Adventure video. I love their videos almost as much as their purses and this one is no exception!
9. Lately, I’ve been trying to expand my beauty routine by incorporating new lip colors. I just recently discovered Nars Lip Crayons and they are my absolute favorite lipsticks! They are easy to apply and come in a bunch of colors. Best part about them- the color stays on forever.
10. Final Kate Spade thing I promise. These sparkly shoes are my new addiction. They are comfy, sparkly, and bonus, water proof. Basically the perfect shoes. Did I mention they are on sale?