Hello all! Another Thursday, another excuse to wear a turtleneck! This turtleneck is the newest addition to my collection and I am so excited about it. It is bold, bright, and just so peppy, which is a nice contract to my other turtlenecks, with are typically more jewel-toned.
One thing I love to do with bight pieces is pair them with lots of sparkles. The bright background really makes the sparkles pop whether it is a turtleneck or not.
Moral of the story this week is that your turtleneck doesn’t have to be dark in color just because it’s winter. Bright colors are perfect to add variety and brighten your wardrobe this winter. Until next time, XO.
Hello my wonderful readers! Welcome to the first Turtleneck Thursday of 2017! I love this series and can’t wait to share more turtleneck styling ideas with you. I would love to hear your thoughts, so make sure to comment or message me! Now, back to turtlenecks! The easiest thing to pair with a turtleneck is a top knot and let me tell you why. First of all, top knots are awesome and we love them here at Lefty Living Life almost as much as turtlenecks. There are easy and fun and a great way to change up your look. With a turtleneck, a top knot is especially good because it emphasizes the turtleneck. There is no way to hide that you are wearing one, that can be good! This emphasis on the turtleneck allows you to simplify your accessories if you want or go all out with a big necklace or earrings. The other great thing, especially in winter, is when you have a top know, your neck gets cold. But a turtleneck is the perfect solution for that so you don’t have to worry about a chilly breeze and you look awesome. Until next time. XO
Hello all! This year has been a big year for me…I graduated from college and announced my consignment business, which will be opening in 2017. Plus I am now employed full time! In addition to all of that exciting news, this has been one of my most prolific blog years and has included some of my favorite outfits of all time. So for our top 10 list today, we are going to look back at some of my favorite outfits from 2016! Let me know if I forgot your favorite outfit or if you have any thoughts in the comments below. XO
1. This striped shirt was a staple in my wardrobe this summer. It is so versatile and easy to wear. Plus, this blog shoot was one of the most fun shoots I’ve ever had. My mom takes most of the amazing photos you see on the blog and it is always an adventure for us as we try new poses and locations.
2. Sequins are a regular occurrence in my wardrobe and I love this statement making jacket. This was the perfect outfit when my boyfriend and I went out in New York. This is by far one of my favorite outfits of 2016!
3. Ruffles were a new addition to my wardrobe this year and I am excited about them to say the least. This was just one of the ruffled outfits I’ve worn in 2016.
4. I wore ruffles again on the first day of my new job! I bought this outfit as my “first day of school outfit” at my job, but this shirt became one of my favorites this fall and I don’t go more than a couple of days without wearing this skirt! Must be lucky!
5. Pastels have always been one of my favorite color groups, but this year, I have loved wearing lots of pastel accents against navy. Mixing pastels together is also one of my favorite ways to add more color to an outfit.
6. The 60s were a huge style influence for me this year. I have loved channeling that decade with mini skirts, color blocking, and big earrings. This was one of my favorite 60s looks from 2016.
7. A new thing for me in 2016 was utilizing the tailor. Let the “Taylor goes to the tailor” jokes begin, but I have been extremely thankful to have a tailor when I am not ready to give up on pieces that don’t fit quite right.
8. My new blog series this fall/ winter has been all about turtlenecks- tips and tricks for wearing them. Make sure to stay tuned on Thursdays for even more fun turtleneck ideas. This has been my favorite turtleneck outfit so far!
9. I have been loving turtlenecks this winter, but also cozy knits in general. I love the idea of wearing a bulky sweater with feminine details like red lipstick. The combination gives any outfit that extra oomph as well as making it look elegant.
10. My final look from this weeks top 10 was actually from Christmas Eve a couple days ago. I love pairing t-shirts with big jewelry and dressing it up with heels. This outfit came together perfectly and had just the right amount of holiday flair.
Hello all! Happy Turtleneck Thursday! At its most basic function, a turtleneck is supposed to keep you warm. So what do you do when your turtleneck is a warm knit, but it is too big to wear a coat over and it is a little loose? My solution was to layer a more fitted turtleneck underneath it. This way, you stay warm, but you also add some extra color, and in this case pattern as well. Plus, with two turtlenecks, you definitely don’t have to worry about a necklace!
Our message this week? Wearing a turtleneck does not limit your layering options to hiding said turtleneck under a regular sweater. Turtlenecks are fun and versatile so experiment! We would love to hear what you come up with! XO
This week for Turtleneck Thursday, we are going to keep it simple again and talk about scarves. Normally when you wear a turtleneck, it is cooler and perfect weather for a scarf. Now, just because you already have something on your neck, doesn’t mean you can’t further accessorize with a scarf. I like to have a pattern on either my scarf or my turtleneck to make it more interesting. This style also only really works if you have a fitted turtleneck that is fitted at the neck. Extra fabric from your top will look a little odd with your scarf. I would love to hear your thoughts about Turtleneck Thursdays and how your experimenting with turtlenecks go! XO
So for our first official Turtleneck Thursday, I thought we would start off easy. Think of a black turtleneck like a black t-shirt or tank top. It is the perfect base layer with statement jewelry, or in this case, a big necklace and an even bigger sweater. Black turtlenecks in general are so great because they are strongly reminiscent of Audrey Hepburn. They bring her style and elegance to any outfit no matter what you pair with your turtleneck.
On a bit of a tangent, this sweater is absolutely amazing. It is literally a rectangular blanket with sleeves added on. It is so comfy and warm. A must have for all my cold natured friends out there! XO
So I was talking to a friend the other day about my favorite thing, turtlenecks, and they were complaining about how it was impossible to wear a turtleneck with any jewelry or accessories. They hated how boring turtlenecks always looked to them.
I was shocked. Is it really the general understanding that you can’t wear jewelry, layers, earrings, or a scarf with a turtleneck? Throw that concept out the window right now! Turtlenecks are amazing and so versatile, you can wear them with almost anything.
To remedy this misunderstanding about turtlenecks, because I want y’all to love them as much as me plus I want your necks to be warm, I’m going to start a series on different ways to wear turtlenecks. Every Thursday there will be a new post. There will definitely be some old outfits, but it will all be fun!
Here is our first example. A turtleneck is the perfect base when layering. Wear a thinner, fitted turtleneck with a scarf so the neck doesn’t interfere with the scarf. Another good layering tip? Wear a sweater or light jacket under a vest for some extra warmth!
I would love to hear your input and ideas so make sure to comment below. XO
1. Happy Election Day! If you haven’t already voted, you might have a little time left, depending on your state, but make sure to get out there and be a part of our democratic system!
2. This weekend I watched The First Monday in May, and it was incredible! This movie is all about the planning of the Met Gala and its accompanying exhibition at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I was expecting it to be interesting, but it was so well made and absolutely awesome! A must watch if you are looking for a new movie to watch.
3. As always on a Top 10 list, we had to include one of James Corden’s carpool karaoke. Today’s is sticking with the political theme and features Michelle Obama. No matter what your political views, this was a funny and entertaining episode and is great to watch!
4. I have been living in this fur vest since I got it a couple of weeks ago. It is perfect for layering under things, but also a great layer over a button-down or cute shirt as we transition into into fall and winter.
5. I’m sure you have already seen the trailer or at least the pictures of Emma Watson as Belle in the new Beauty and the Beast, but I wanted to make sure you saw them! Beauty and the Beast has always been one of my favorite movies and I can’t wait until this reboot comes out!
6. Another must see trailer is for the Netflix special of Gilmore Girls. I have always loved watching Gilmore Girls with my mom and my sister and I am excited to watch these 4 episodes with them!
7. The final thing to watch is the new Netflix show, The Crown. I have not started it yet, but I have heard incredible things and I can’t wait to watch it! Have you seen it? What do you think so far?
8. I love tea and hot tea is vital for me in the winter. I also love sloths. So a couple of months ago, my boyfriend Devon got me this incredible sloth tea infuser. It comes in a variety of animal shapes, but also works very well. A must have for tea drinkers this winter!
9. Speaking of Devon, this weekend we spent a significant amount of time cooking. On Friday, we made chocolate chip and blueberry pancakes, so on Saturday we decided to make use of our leftover chocolate and blueberries. We melted the leftover semi-sweet and dark chocolate and then poured it over the leftover blueberries. We then put it into the freezer for a while and when we took it out, we had a chocolate bar with blueberries inside. I never would have thought of this combination (it was all Devon’s idea) but it is absolutely delicious!
10. Finally, turtlenecks. I have been talking about turtlenecks a lot lately and that probably isn’t going to change anytime soon. So, if I have convinced you that turtlenecks are awesome, try these. They are awesome and a great layering piece so check them out! XO
So we have established that I love turtlenecks, but sometimes it can be hard to find the perfect one. Obviously these J.Crew ones are some of my favorites and an easy go-to staple for me. However, this sleeveless one comes in at a close second. It is a little thicker than the J.Crew ones, which makes it great for fall weather. I also like that it is sleeveless so I can easily layer it under sweaters or dresses for an extra layer of warmth.
Have I convinced you yet that turtlenecks are the best? XO
So if you are new to Lefty Living Life or haven’t been paying close attention, I love turtlenecks and always have. It all started when I got my first pixie cut in seventh grade. During the winter, even if I was wearing a scarf, my neck would get so cold. So I started wearing turtlenecks as a necessity to stay warm. Now, they are so ingrained in my wardrobe, I don’t think I could stop wearing them even if I wanted to.
I love the huge, chunky, knit ones because they are just so warm and comfy. But, my favorite ones are these thin, cotton turtlenecks from J.Crew. They are perfect for this seasonal weather with a light jacket, but they are also a great base layer once it gets colder. J.Crew has some awesome colors this year that I would highly recommend. I would also love to hear if y’all have any ideas on how to wear turtlenecks this fall and how you feel about turtlenecks in general! I will probably be posting about them a lot, so I would love the feedback! XO